Hello, friends!! 😍💌 I know it hasn’t been that long, but it feels like forever. Maybe it’s because I’m just super jittery and excited to fangirl about my most favorite trilogy ever…To All the Boy’s I Loved Before!!
If you couldn’t tell, I have (subconsciously) absorbed Lara Jean’s personality into my own, and I have been waiting for this movie forever. I reread the entire trilogy last month in preparation for the movie as part of subtle asian book club. Today, I’m sharing ✨ all my thoughts ✨ on the movie as I frantically record my inner monologue!
1. Lara Jean dancing around her room reminds me of a ballerina.
2. I’m loving her outfits!! The yellow dress feels very flapper/La La Land?
3. OMG, I love Kitty. She has the best commentary…“Have you even showered?” 😂
4. I think some of the funniest moments are when Lara Jean replies to Kitty in a deadpan way. Example 1: First movie. “Lara Jean I sent the letters.” “I’m gonna kill you.” and Example 2: “Have you even showered?” “Get out.”
5. Her red dress is sooooo pretty. 🥺💖
6. I love how supportive her family is of her and Peter.
7. I want a boy to bring me flowers. I also think it’s super cute how he brought a small flower for Kitty too. 💐
8. Did you notice how they cut out the part where he goes “11 o’ clock…like always” which was in the trailer from the final cut?
9. These city lights(!!) 🌃
10. I’ve always wanted to go on a fancy first date…like a place with two forks and fancy wine glasses. 🍽✨
11. You know what place has big menus…Cheesecake Factory. 😉
12. I feel like Peter being dorky is a little endearing but also knowing me I’d probably be like “OMG YOU’RE SO EMBARASSING STAHP”
13. Are you really not gonna let us see what type of fancy food they’re eating on their first date??
14. I’m just like Lara Jean when it comes to driving. Everything is all fun and dandy until it starts snowing.
15. I really really love this trilogy so much, but I feel like right away I can tell it’s missing a little bit of the magic from the first movie…if that makes any sense?? 💫
16. I love the idea of sending lanterns into the sky. It reminds me of Rapunzel and Eugene in Tangled!! ✨💜
17. but then I’m also like….THE POLLUTION.
18. I’m SO JEALOUS that Lara Jean can pull off the big oversize coat look as a small asian girl because I look like my entire body disappears and I look like a child.
19. Aww that little dorky dance thing Peter just did at the end after he dropped LJ off was very endearing.
20. Margoooottttt!!! I wish you were there in person. You’re honestly the character I relate to the most (jk I’m LJ + Margot), but I want updates on you!
21. I love that they all did the traditional bow to the elders (including Dr. Covey)
22. I feel like Haven and Chris would be friends…or mortal enemies. 🖤
23. I also noticed that there’s A LOT more internal monologue from Lara Jean in this movie.
24. I love how protective Kitty is of LJ and Peter’s relationship!!
25. Awww Lara Jean and John Ambrose read Harry Potter together in a tree house. ⚡️
26. OOOO Lara Jean is left-handed.
27. They’re both Hufflepuffs!! 💛
28. Note to self: Snickerdoodles are Lara Jean’s pensive bake.
29. Lara Jean really rocks headbands and mock turtlenecks!
30. I think it’s so cool how their school does Spring Service Commitments? That’s definitely a change from the books, and I don’t know if high schools actually do this.
31. I don’t know how I feel about including Trevor with a bigger role? I guess it does make sense? Truthfully, I was really worried that the film producers would be pandering to Noah Centineo and his boy squad…
32. Chris and Lucas are the BEST FRIENDS EVER. 💖
33. Okay…I know Gen is a biatch but she’s realllyyyy prettyyyyy. 🙈
34. SMH Peter. You don’t just leave a girl hanging like that….#douchemove
35. I WANT TO GO ON A CARNIVAL DATE. 🥺❤️
36. Okay, I think getting a snow globe as a prize is SUPER CUTE but like…I have never seen a carnival prize be a snow globe. Isn’t it always typically dolls and plushies and stickers??
37. Trina is not what I expected to look like. She’s so SMOL(!!) Their height difference!! 😍
38. I think it’s so cute how Lara Jean and Kitty are super supportive of their dad finding love again. It’s usually pretty awkward to think of your parent dating/re-marrying potentially, but they’re very open-minded.
39. WAIT WHERE’S JAMIE FOX PICKLE?? Where’s Kitty’s puppy??? 🐶
40. I really hope we get more interactions between Dr. Covey and Trina for sure. I also think they’re a lot more obviously flirting in the movie than in comparison to the books.
41. BRUH. Belleview is SO FANCY WHAT THE HECK.
42. Stormy is EXACTLY how I pictured her to be!! Stormyyyy Weatherrrrr ⛈
43. Wowie wow wow. Is John Ambrose McClaren a pre-med student? LOL
44. I think it’s cool how they’re doing parallels to the first movie where Lara Jean would daydream about Josh & Peter and not it’s Peter & John Ambrose.
45. I honestly LIVE for all of the baking scenes. Alrighty…I’m on a mission to bake cherry turnovers. (Note to self: Lara Jean adds lemons to her cherry compote)
46. I think it’s sweet how they still make Valentine’s Day gifts. I think I stopped doing that in middle school but I remember it was so much fun. I really love that their school gets super into it and even decorates the hallways.
47. I’m also always shook when a character dresses very nicely at home. I usually wear baggy clothes and look like a potato so I’m impressed that she still looks super cute.
48. Also, Lara Jean has the most adorable baby face. 🥰
49. The concept of Valentine’s Day singing grams is so cute.
50. WAIT ONE SECOND. IS THIS MADDIE ZIEGLER?? FROM DANCE MOMS??? MAKING A CAMEO??? 😱
51. LOLOL I love that they’re singing “I Want It That Way” by the Backstreet Boys. Also, I can’t really tell if Trevor is actually singing along or just lip syncing?
52. I would honestly be so peeved if girls were sending my boyfriend a bunch of Valentine’s Day cards. 😒
52. This Lucas and Lara Jean interaction about wearing the crown is sooo cute. I love it!
53. AHHH!! It’s the trackkkkkk. It’s the tableeeee. It’s where it all startedddddd. 😭
54. It would’ve been so funny if while they were kissing on the track, the coach went “hey you! stop it!” like in the first movie.
55. Call me unromantic but I would be cringing so hard if a boy wrote me a poem. (idk maybe it could be cute) 🤣
56. Is Chris #sponsored by Subway?
57. Chris lowkey reminds me of a younger version of Leigh Bardugo…like GOTH QUEEN 👑🖤
58. Honestly, Chris has so many valid points about sex. I’m really glad that they’re including this stuff in the movie because it’ll be important for young girls to know.
59. OMG I’m ded. “I think this is yours” *passes Subway sandwich to Trevor* I think it’s cute that they’re adding this surprise romance but it’s also a little unnecessary.
60. Lara Jean’s outfit is SO CUTE. She kinda looks like Arthur.
61 .Oooo they changed the content of John Ambrose’s letter, but I kinda like it. French Toast x Deviled Eggs.
62. LMAO They’re playing flip cup. It’s honestly a pretty nice set up for a high school party.
63. I really like how they’re including all of Lara Jean’s concerns about sex with Peter and his past relationship with Genevieve because they’re all SO VALID.
64. LOLOLOL I love how the bingo game is to win a wheel of aged gouda.
65. I really like how John Ambrose and Lara Jean are both sort of ✨ old souls ✨.
66. Aww I love how they kept references to “Peter K takes the last slice of pizza” and “John Ambrose’s peanut butter chocolate cupcakes” (tho I’m pretty positive the book was cake not cupcakes) 🍕
67. Ooo they’re replacing the USO Party with the Star Ball.
68. I think it’s so funny how Peter is squeamish about dissecting the octopus. 🐙
69. The shaadddeee from Kitty that Peter prefers salted caramel cupcakes to peanut butter chocolate. 👀
70. LARA JEAN HAS A CUPCAKE HOLDER. 🧁🧁🧁 Y’all don’t even know how long I have been wanting one of those. (okay a year) but it makes transporting cupcakes SO MUCH EASIER.
71. Awww I love Chris!! She’s just so cool walking up with a shovel LMAO.
72. OMG I can’t believe I had to hear the words “Time Value of Money” in this because as a Finance major, I hear this like every other day in class.
73. Gen you aflkasfjs you don’t bring up kissing your ex-boyfriend in front of his new girlfriend. THAT’S JUST NOT OKAY. 😡
74. OMG Peter is SO IMMATURE bringing up John Ambrose’s stutter just to make him feel uncomfortable…all because he’s jealous.
75. Okay, I can understand why Peter is jealous but also he has to realize he hasn’t exactly been an A+ boyfriend lately but also it was wrong of LJ to not tell John Ambrose that she has a boyfriend
76. (side note: i’m also lowkey surprised the treehouse can hold all of their weight.)
77. Lara Jean going, “Do you wanna break up?” after a small fight is honestly #me.
78. AWWW THIS PIANO SCENE MY HEART ❤️
79. DOUBLE AWWW Dr. Covey and Trina flirting at the supermarket. 😭
80. Aww I really love how they have this second Thanksgiving, and it’s so important to their family. I also really like how they’re not awkward about explaining their mom’s story to Trina.
81. OMG!! THERE’S BLACKPINK IN THIS!! LET’S KILL THIS LOVE!! 💖🎶
82. I AM ANNOYED @ PETER. ANY GIRL WOULD BE RIGHTFULLY JEALOUS.
83. ok tbh…peter is kinda #trash. like what boyfriend would allow his ex-girlfriend to take a revenge video on his current girlfriend and not tell her??
84. okkk thiis part where she’s lip-syncing the sad song and there’s a closeup on her face is a little awks for me. it’s way too Glee LOL
85. I wasn’t feeling super sad at this breakup scene even though I know it’s meant to be sad? Maybe it’s because the breakup during the audiobook felt so much more emo.
86. I definitely wasn’t expecting Lara Jean to text Gen. LOLOL Gen is wearing UGG boots 🤣
87. I like that they’re taking the time to address their friendship, but it feels very rushed. It’s sucky that they don’t have more time to explain everything through.
88. I think they needed more time to talk about WHY exactly Lara Jean was upset because there were multiple times where Peter chose Genevieve and withheld information from his girlfriend.
89. I wish they included they kept the scene where Lara Jean found out the reason Genevieve was distressed was that her father was cheating on her mom.
90. ASDFGHJKL I WISH THEY KEPT THE ASSASSINS GAME IN
91. I let out an audible “AWWW” when I saw Dr. Covey and Trina holding hands and walking. 😍
92. Okay but how did Stormy correctly guess Lara Jean’s exact dress size??
93. AWW Lara Jean got her princess entrance walking down the staircase to John Ambrose. Honestly, every girl deserves to have someone look at them the way that John Ambrose looked at her with adoration. 🥺❤️
94. ARE THEY DOING SNOW ANGELS IN FORMAL WEAR?? THEY’RE GOING TO GET SICK!! AND RUIN THEIR CLOTHES!!
95. I think a lot of this book focused primarily on the love triangle, but I wish they showed more of the parallels/differences? between both guys.
96. SOMETHING’S MISSING AND IDK WHAT
97. Awww I like how Peter’s excuse was that he knew Lara Jean didn’t like driving in the snow and he’s there to pick her up. ❄
98. “Break my heart, Covey. Break my heart into a thousand pieces.” AWWWW 😭❤️
99. Okay, I definitely need to give this movie a couple more rewatches, and I feel like I’ll appreciate it a lot more after, but I think they should’ve included a little more after Peter showed up.
100. I think it’s really pretty that they’re walking back home at dawn, but also, this ending is missing something that the ending in the first movie had?? I feel incomplete?? 😕
101. OMG I totally forgot Margot only made like 1 appearance during the whole movie??
✨ Final Thoughts ✨
Overall, I still really enjoyed the movie because the series holds a special place in my heart. This movie was lacking that special ~spark~ that made the first movie feel magical, but I still had fun watching the sequel. I’m sad that they cut out the “Nobody Compare to You” song from the trailer. 🙁
I wish that they included a lot more scenes from the books, but I also realize that with movies they have to pick and choose. 💌 They should’ve included more moments that built up the spark between Lara Jean and John Ambrose, the assassins game, and the tension/fights between Lara Jean and Peter.
If you’re interested, check out my reviews for the trilogy: